Перейти к содержанию
Авторизация  
Del-Vey

The New World сменит название

Какое название вам больше нравится?  

18 проголосовавших

1. 1. Какое название вам больше нравится?

• Pilgrims of the Void
    • Colony Ship: A Post-Earth role-playing game
    • Across the Void
    • No Home But the Stars
    • Born Beneath No Sun

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Ролевая игра The New World от разработчиков из студии Iron Tower, ответственной за долгострой The Age of Decadence, сменит название. Об этом авторы проекта рассказали на своём форуме.

В качестве причины изменения "вывески" называется MMORPG под названием New World от одной из студий гиганта Amazon. Анонс проекта состоялся позже анонса игры Винса Уэллера и его команды, однако ввязываться в судебное противостояние с самой богатой компанией на планете разработчик не желает.

В настоящий момент Iron Tower рассматривают три варианта:

1. Starfarer - это название корабля-ковчега, на котором и разворачиваются события игры. Сам Винс считает его слишком банальным, однако отражающим суть.
  2. The Journey to Proxima Centauri или The Voyage to Proxima Centauri - единственным преимуществом данного варианта автор игры называет то, что из него многое становится ясно даже до взгляда на проект.
  3. The Pilgrims of Earth - это название нравится самому Уэллеру больше всего, поскольку оно фокусируется на людях, а не самом корабле и звучанием напоминает научную фантастику середины прошлого века.

Если вы хотите высказаться относительно представленных выше вариантов или предложить свои идеи - пишите их в комментариях к данной новости. Винс частенько посещает наш форум и периодически даже общается в комментариях.

Поделиться сообщением

UnPinned posts
16 часов назад, Rup. сказал:

Как что-то плохое...

Когда что-то уж слишком сильно отдает вторичностью - это всегда плохо.

• WTF?! 2

Поделиться сообщением

36 минут назад, Del-Vey сказал:

В Twitter началось голосование:

Across the Void - звучит неплохо. :-P

• Нравится 1

Поделиться сообщением

В 05.09.2018 в 18:46, welliz сказал:

Звучит, как стопроцентный плагиат на Хайнлайна.

The only thing in common is the format (X of Y) as pilgrims and orphans hit very different notes. Ours drew parallel with Mayflower's pilgrims, the puritans who left the old world to practice their own brand of crazy in the new world. They aren't orphans of the old world, they are professional assholes.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/04/27/book-review-albions-seed/

Цитата

Much like eg Unitarians today, the Puritans were a religious group that drew disproportionately from the most educated and education-obsessed parts of the English populace. Literacy among immigrants to Massachusetts was twice as high as the English average, and in an age when the vast majority of Europeans were farmers most immigrants to Massachusetts were skilled craftsmen or scholars. And the Puritan “homeland” of East Anglia was a an unusually intellectual place, with strong influences from Dutch and Continental trade; historian Havelock Ellis finds that it “accounts for a much larger proportion of literary, scientific, and intellectual achievement than any other part of England.”

Furthermore, only the best Puritans were allowed to go to Massachusetts; Fischer writes that “it may have been the only English colony that required some of its immigrants to submit letters of recommendation” and that “those who did not fit in were banished to other colonies and sent back to England”. Puritan “headhunters” went back to England to recruit “godly men” and “honest men” who “must not be of the poorer sort”.

INTERESTING PURITAN FACTS:
1. Sir Harry Vane, who was “briefly governor of Massachusetts at the age of 24”, “was so rigorous in his Puritanism that he believed only the thrice-born to be truly saved”.
2. The great seal of the Massachusetts Bay Company “featured an Indian with arms beckoning, and five English words flowing from his mouth: ‘Come over and help us'”
3. Northern New Jersey was settled by Puritans who named their town after the “New Ark Of The Covenant” – modern Newark.
4. Massachusetts clergy were very powerful; Fischer records the story of a traveller asking a man “Are you the parson who serves here?” only to be corrected “I am, sir, the parson who rules here.”
5. The Puritans tried to import African slaves, but they all died of the cold.
6. In 1639, Massachusetts declared a “Day Of Humiliation” to condemn “novelties, oppression, atheism, excesse, superfluity, idleness, contempt of authority, and trouble in other parts to be remembered”
7. The average family size in Waltham, Massachusetts in the 1730s was 9.7 children.
8. Everyone was compelled by law to live in families. Town officials would search the town for single people and, if found, order them to join a family; if they refused, they were sent to jail.
9. 98% of adult Puritan men were married, compared to only 73% of adult Englishmen in general. Women were under special pressure to marry, and a Puritan proverb said that “women dying maids lead apes in Hell”.
10. 90% of Puritan names were taken from the Bible. Some Puritans took pride in their learning by giving their children obscure Biblical names they would expect nobody else to have heard of, like Mahershalalhasbaz. Others chose random Biblical terms that might not have technically been intended as names; “the son of Bostonian Samuel Pond was named Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin Pond”. Still others chose Biblical words completely at random and named their children things like Maybe or Notwithstanding.
11. Puritan parents traditionally would send children away to be raised with other families, and raise those families’ children in turn, in the hopes that the lack of familiarity would make the child behave better.
12. In 1692, 25% of women over age 45 in Essex County were accused of witchcraft.
13. Massachusetts passed the first law mandating universal public education, which was called The Old Deluder Law in honor of its preamble, which began “It being one chief project of that old deluder, Satan, to keep men from the knowledge of the scriptures…”
14. Massachusetts cuisine was based around “meat and vegetables submerged in plain water and boiled relentlessly without seasonings of any kind”.
15. Along with the famous scarlet A for adultery, Puritans could be forced to wear a B for blasphemy, C for counterfeiting, D for drunkenness, and so on.
16. Wasting time in Massachusetts was literally a criminal offense, listed in the law code, and several people were in fact prosecuted for it.
17. This wasn’t even the nadir of weird hard-to-enforce Massachusetts laws. Another law just said “If any man shall exceed the bounds of moderation, we shall punish him severely”.

However, the name got a very mixed reaction, as way many people associate the word pilgrims with travelers to Mecca or as someone said, "I still don't really care for Pilgrims.  At least to someone of my generation, they are basically childish because your first, and last, engagement with them is in the context of school pageants and shit from ages 5 to 8.  They are like the Easter Bunny or something."

We'll still consider it but I doubt we'll go with it.

• Нравится 3
  • Поддерживаю 2

Поделиться сообщением

"No Home But the Stars" набрал так мало??? Гениальное название, оно заслуживает жизни.

• Нравится 1

Поделиться сообщением

It's not bad but it's more fitting for a No Man's Sky type game where you hop from planet to planet. What do you think about Born Beneath No Sun? It didn't score very high on our forums but we're looking at the results across the board, including the Codex:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-great-renaming-poll-2.123764/

Colony Ship is the winner so far. It's plain and uninspiring but it tells you what the game is about in very clear terms. Such plain and uninspiring titles often worked very well and even made iconic brands (not that making brands is our goal here), like Aliens, for example, or Platoon.

Поделиться сообщением

22 минуты назад, Vince сказал:

The only thing in common is the format (X of Y) as pilgrims and orphans hit very different notes. Ours drew parallel with Mayflower's pilgrims, the puritans who left the old world to practice their own brand of crazy in the new world. They aren't orphans of the old world, they are professional assholes.

However, the name got a very mixed reaction, as way many people associate the word pilgrims with travelers to Mecca or as someone said, "I still don't really care for Pilgrims.  At least to someone of my generation, they are basically childish because your first, and last, engagement with them is in the context of school pageants and shit from ages 5 to 8.  They are like the Easter Bunny or something."

We'll still consider it but I doubt we'll go with it.

Я говорил не о содержании, а о впечатлении от предполагаемых на тот момент вариантах названий. От произведения с названием The Piligrims of Earts ожидаешь чего-то Хайнлайноцентричного, даже если под пилигримам имелись ввиду те самые сбежавшие из Англии пуритане.

Поделиться сообщением

31 минуту назад, Vince сказал:

Wow. It reminds me of that time when they changed "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in the US because they wanted to avoid people thinking it was a book on philosophy or something like that.

People like that are weird and need a dictionary.

Поделиться сообщением

4 минуты назад, welliz сказал:

Я говорил не о содержании, а о впечатлении от предполагаемых на тот момент вариантах названий. От произведения с названием The Piligrims of Earts ожидаешь чего-то Хайнлайноцентричного, даже если под пилигримам имелись ввиду те самые сбежавшие из Англии пуритане.

Fair enough.

Поделиться сообщением

6 минут назад, Vince сказал:

Colony Ship is the winner so far. It's plain and uninspiring but it tells you what the game is about in very clear terms. Such plain and uninspiring titles often worked very well and even made iconic brands (not that making brands is our goal here), like Aliens, for example, or Platoon.

This title always made me think about strategy games like The Settlers. Not sure if it fits well, but it definitely make sense cause we already used to it.

• Нравится 1

Поделиться сообщением

В 08.09.2018 в 21:08, Allard сказал:

Wow. It reminds me of that time when they changed "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in the US because they wanted to avoid people thinking it was a book on philosophy or something like that.

People like that are weird and need a dictionary.

Among other things. I rarely check the refund data (reasons given when people ask for refund) because it's a fairly depressing read. Here is a recent sample:

Цитата
I didn't understand the explanation of the combat system. I kept hitting the opponent in the training area but failed to damage him more than once. I admit I could've tried longer, but I doubt I'd have figured out how to actually deal damage or block an incoming attack.

Цитата
while i expected supbar graphics, the total absence of any voice-acting and infuriating point-and-click mechanics diminished any enjoyment i found in the setting.

Цитата
No random encounters, its not a game thats part of the same genre that was advertised to me.

Цитата
Too much reading and too hard.

Цитата
Old-fashioned and boring mechanics even for those like me who have been dueling for years at TES V AND FALLOUT !!

Цитата
i tried the tutorial and spent 20 minutes reading about the combat and now i want to take a nap

Цитата
The game is not what I expected. It would be better if there was a demo for it to try before buying.

Цитата
Its literally unplayable

Цитата
Couldn't make character attack and gameplay was bad.

Цитата
The game is supposed to be a RPG, you are supposed to be able not to fight your way in, but with a non combat character you can't have any success early in the game and you can't fight, so you can't do any quest available... I'm bored.

Цитата
Combat is just a boring clickfest, in which you will die because the game is 'hardcore'...ugh, no thanks. I'm a mercenary/bodyguard who has to avoid fighting because I get my ass kicked. Not a game for me.

Цитата
This game does not live up to the hype. The graphics are poor, the RPG tree is weak, and the combat system is more demanding that what I was looking for.

• Нравится 1
  • Печаль... 4

Поделиться сообщением

1 минуту назад, Vince сказал:

Too much reading

I would write something scathing about the person who said this but I feel like I shouldn't even dignify something like this with a reply.

• Нравится 2

Поделиться сообщением

Для публикации сообщений создайте учётную запись или авторизуйтесь

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать учетную запись

Зарегистрируйте новую учётную запись в нашем сообществе. Это очень просто!

Регистрация нового пользователя

Войти

Уже есть аккаунт? Войти в систему.

Войти
Авторизация  

• Последние посетители   0 пользователей онлайн

Ни одного зарегистрированного пользователя не просматривает данную страницу