Перейти к содержанию
Авторизация  
Albatross

Интервью RPGNuke с Винсом Уэллером

Рекомендуемые сообщения

А там и нечем восхищаться, довольно детские характеры, предсказуемый сюжет и и.д. Но лет в 8, когда я читал книгу впервые, она просто потрясла меня :-)

Many old books have this strange naivette and simplicity.

Take "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester, circa 1956, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stars_My_Destination

It's a great book because the ideas are fascinating, but the ending (and the main plot element) are downnright silly. So, you have this new super powerful explosive that can be detonated by a thought and everyone wants it, sparing no expense to get it. It's silly, but whatever. In the end the main character decides to tell people the truth (that this weapon exists) and scatters it around the world. So, now anyone can blow it up. In Bester's mind, people are good and will never do such a horrible thing, but we all know that someone will 'pull this trigger' within a minute.

And yet the setting he painted, the background for all the above mentioned silliness is superb and very imaginative, which is what makes the book worth reading.

• Поддерживаю 2

Поделиться сообщением

Притормози, советская фантастика бывает разная, если не брать "идеологических" авторов, то она весьма хороша.

Я как бы между словами "наивный" и "плохой" знак равенства не ставлю. Просто совсем по-другому в тех условиях мир воспринимался.

Поделиться сообщением

Фантастика, как и литература в целом, прогрессирует вместе с обществом и культурой. А научная фантастика, в том числе, прогрессирует вместе с наукой. Поэтому, скажем, после "Ложной Слепоты" Уоттса старая гуманистическая фантастика типа Саймака и других вызывает лишь ностальгическую улыбку, потому что исчезла послевоенная культура, породившая её, и научная база значительно сдвинулась.

Поделиться сообщением

Мне уже хватило, что релиз перенесли на 2014...

И что ты хочешь этим сказать?

Поделиться сообщением

Следующее ) Я признателен вам за работу, но мои реалии таковы, что "дорого яичко в пасхальный день". И если память не изменяет, то мы уже обсуждали этот вопрос. Игру следовало выпускать этим летом. В одном из интервью читал, что разработка растянулась из-за желания привнести больше интересных идей. Хороший посыл. Но так можно ещё лет десять делать игру. Я от них не жду революции или шедевра. Им бы хватило выпустить качественный, но не слишком громоздкий продукт. Если обратить внимание на их историю разработки, то они постоянно расширяют и правят.

На недели читал интервью про ФНВ. Очень показательный - свежий пример (интервью на этом сайте лежит). Так там было сказано - мы взяли на себя больше, чем смогли сделать качественно. И это Обсидиан.

Я лишь надеюсь на успех АоД.

Поделиться сообщением

Следующее ) Я признателен вам за работу, но мои реалии таковы, что "дорого яичко в пасхальный день".

Fortunately, RPGs can be enjoyed all year-round and AoD can be enjoyed in 2014 as easily as it could have been enjoyed in 2012. The only difference is that the 2014 edition is much better.

Игру следовало выпускать этим летом.

Even if it's not ready?

В одном из интервью читал, что разработка растянулась из-за желания привнести больше интересных идей. Хороший посыл.

Then you've read a poorly translated interview. I want to make a good RPG. Whether or not it has a lot of interesting ideas (or a single one) isn't one of the concerns.

We changed a lot of things over the years and expanded a lot of characters, quests, areas. Not because we were looking for some great ideas, but because what we had wasn't good enough, or had glaring issues, or was too low on quality content.

I've used this example before, but let's try it again:

When we started working on the game, there was a number of "traditional" elements I wanted to eliminate to, um, "streamline" the gameplay:

- mindless running across maps and locations. You know, the typical "fedex" quests or "now run all the way back and tell the questgiver that you finished the quest!" It adds nothing to gameplay and just wastes your time.

- mindless sidequests. You run around and talk to NPCs with silly problems.

"I'm a hunter, can you please kill 10 wolves for me?"

"Um, yeah, sure, I love killing wolves."

"How would you like to listen about my family problems and then talk to my father/brother/wife/son to solve them for me once and for all?"

"Oh boy, would I!"

"My [place] is infested with [rats/spiders/bandits/tax collectors]. Please help me, I don't know what else to do."

"Say no more, my good man. That's why I play RPGs I live for this shit!"

- mindless looting. "Hey, a barrel! I wonder what's inside. A magic sword?!! Wow! Hey, another barrel..."

So, we've eliminated all 3 and focused instead of developing interwoven questlines with different options and outcomes. The outcome? There is no need to explore the towns, 'cause there isn't much to do outside the faction quests. If you want to walk around looking for spontaneous stuff to do, you're in the wrong game.

In other words, only when we skipped the mindless stuff, did we realize what it was there for. Take Fallout 2, for example. Even though it was inferior to the first game (that's just, like, my opinion, man), it was a well-rounded game with a lot of content. Sure, some quests were silly but when mixed with the good stuff, they didn't seem to bug me that much.

Now, let's do a mental exercise. Take Den - a two-map town with a lot of stuff to do:

1. Collect money from Fred.

2. Get book from Derek.

3. Lara wants to know what is guarded in the church.

4. Get permission from Metzger for gang war.

5. Find weakness in Tyler's gang guarding the church.

6. Help Lara attack Tyler's gang.

7. Deliver a meal to Smitty for Mom.

8. Free Vic from his debt.

9. Sabotage Becky's still.

10. Get car part for Smitty.

11. Return Anna's locket.

12. Talk to Stacy and ask her to tell you the story about her cat.

I hope we agree that "quests" #1, 2, 4 (the name implies more than the quest delivers; it's a straight "go to NPC A, tell him something, report back" type stuff), 7, 9, 11, and especially 12 are kinda shit. Quests 3, 5, and 6 are basically one quest. So, overall, we have "helping Lara to put Tyler out of business, permanently" (sadly, without the option to side with Tyler) and "freeing Vic in different ways". Without the fluff, without running between NPCs on different maps, you could do Den in about 5-7 min. Exploring, looking for stuff (no matter how silly) to do, running back and forth is 3/4 of Den's "menu for tonight's entertainment".

Once the testers pointed it out, we had to fill the town with something. Naturally, we didn't want to fill it with barrels, ripe for picking chests, NPCs suffering without quality delivery services, etc.

At first we wanted to do something quick and stupid. You walk down the street and see - perception check - something hidden in that, uh, wall? tree? barrel? In the end, we decided to do it right, as painful as it is during the beta test. Trust me, we all want that fucking demo out so that we can relax and, like, not think of it for a week or two? Have fun, enjoy life, run outside naked, play Skyrim, troll some forums?

One by one, we added 8 - I don't know how to call them? mini quests? situations? events? something something? They filled in the town, expanded the gameworld and lore, and gave you a reason to explore. So, I guess we did learn something in the end.

Я от них не жду революции или шедевра.

Neither do we.

Я лишь надеюсь на успех АоД.

Thanks.
  • Поддерживаю 6

Поделиться сообщением

Следующее ) Я признателен вам за работу, но мои реалии таковы, что "дорого яичко в пасхальный день". И если память не изменяет, то мы уже обсуждали этот вопрос. Игру следовало выпускать этим летом. В одном из интервью читал, что разработка растянулась из-за желания привнести больше интересных идей. Хороший посыл. Но так можно ещё лет десять делать игру. Я от них не жду революции или шедевра. Им бы хватило выпустить качественный, но не слишком громоздкий продукт. Если обратить внимание на их историю разработки, то они постоянно расширяют и правят.

Чувак, да ты же не читал интервью которому посвящена эта тема.

- mindless sidequests. You run around and talk to NPCs with silly problems.

"I'm a hunter, can you please kill 10 wolves for me?"

"Um, yeah, sure, I love killing wolves."

"How would you like to listen about my family problems and then talk to my father/brother/wife/son to solve them for me once and for all?"

"Oh boy, would I!"

"My [place] is infested with [rats/spiders/bandits/tax collectors]. Please help me, I don't know what else to do."

"Say no more, my good man. That's why I play RPGs I live for this shit!"

Такие квесты просты и не требуют никаких особых усилий от сценаристов, но я всё равно не понимаю почему некоторые RPG заполняют ими чуть ли не до краёв. А квест "семейные проблемы" уже давно стал традицией и присутствует наверное во всех RPG. :)

Поделиться сообщением

Дорогой, товарищ/господин Винс, большое вам спасибо, что щадите наши нервы. От таких "квестиков" уже мутит. А вот интересно, если теоретически начать квест со стандартной задачкой а-ля "помоги с братом/сестрой/отцом/кем-нибудь другим", которая постепенно превратится в эпопею на пять часов (так, к примеру), то это не будет противоречить вашей идеологии?

Besides that, are you using a kind of online translator for understanding Russian posts? Just interesting to know.

Поделиться сообщением

Такие квесты просты и не требуют никаких особых усилий от сценаристов, но я всё равно не понимаю почему некоторые RPG заполняют ими чуть ли не до краёв.

А мне могут нравится. Если такие квесты особо не напрягают и хорошо вплетены в основную сюжетную линию, то я очень даже люблю их выполнять. Но тут, думаю, проявляется мое манчкинство, желание пройти все на с100 процентов.

Впрочем. такие квесты могут играть и роль "расслабона", разбавлять интеллектуальный и качественный основной контент. Хорошо иногда бывает после выполнения продуманного и сложного квеста по освобождению какого-то НПС из тюрьмы, с долгими диалогами, решениями задачей и прочего - просто пойти и тупо убить пачку мобов. И получить за это деньги и опыт.

Поделиться сообщением

Винс, вне боёв ваша игра во многом напоминает скорее текстовый квест\интерактивную новеллу, по крайней мере судя по демо. Это дизайнерское или техническое решение?

Поделиться сообщением

А вот интересно, если теоретически начать квест со стандартной задачкой а-ля "помоги с братом/сестрой/отцом/кем-нибудь другим", которая постепенно превратится в эпопею на пять часов (так, к примеру), то это не будет противоречить вашей идеологии?

Not at all. You can make a great quest even out of a simple delivery quest (like the New Vegas' plot), but usually - 99% - you get something delightfully simple and uneventful. Go to [relative], tell him that his/her [relative] is sorry, return to the first relative, collect a reward, ask yourself why you're playing this game.

Besides that, are you using a kind of online translator for understanding Russian posts? Just interesting to know.

Google Translate does a great job letting me stay in touch with French, Italian, and Russian gamers.
  • Поддерживаю 1

Поделиться сообщением

Винс, вне боёв ваша игра во многом напоминает скорее текстовый квест\интерактивную новеллу, по крайней мере судя по демо. Это дизайнерское или техническое решение?

It's a design decision.

I remember playing PST and getting to the part with the giant skeleton guards and enchanted armor. The text description and the options to unravel the spell were like a breath of fresh air. Then later I was discussing Fallout 2 - the area where you get the part for the car, with a chickenwire fence. You couldn't climb it because it would require different climbing animations, yet a simple textbox with a check could have accomplished that easily. High Agility - teleport to the other side. Low Agility - drop on your ass. So for me, the text adventure design is about freedom and atmosphere.

Поделиться сообщением

Вы говорите о свободе, а как же внеквестовое использование навыков воровства, взлома замков, подкрадывания, знания и прочий интерактив?

Поделиться сообщением

Good question, good topic for discussion. I can't say that I like these gameplay elements, at least the way they're done in 99% of RPGs.

- sneaking - click a button, your character becomes transparent and can walk everywhere in broad daylight (talking about isometric games here). When you fail an invisible check, you become visible and attacked on sight.

We had an idea for a TB sneaking system, but didn't have time to implement it (which, coincidentally, goes to show that we don't throw every interesting idea into the game).

- stealing/lockpicking - this one I really dislike. From the design perspective, it's a 'free stuff' skill. You run around, looking for chests to lockpick and people to pickpocket. It feels like a retarded mini-game: somewhere on this level hidden various, meaningless treasure and you should collect it all, sell it, and feel good about it.

So, basically, we didn't want to do the 'traditional' implementation, but didn't have time to design something interesting. Instead, we went with scripted events in text-adventure mode that let you use skills in hopefully rewarding ways. There are tough locks, with built-in traps and such, that you'd have to figure out, there are sneaking quests (the palace infiltration, kaeso's house, etc), and so on.

• Поддерживаю 2

Поделиться сообщением

Для публикации сообщений создайте учётную запись или авторизуйтесь

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать учетную запись

Зарегистрируйте новую учётную запись в нашем сообществе. Это очень просто!

Регистрация нового пользователя

Войти

Уже есть аккаунт? Войти в систему.

Войти
Авторизация  

• Последние посетители   0 пользователей онлайн

Ни одного зарегистрированного пользователя не просматривает данную страницу